Monday, March 7, 2011

Le carrefour.....

So, I know its been a while since my last post but things have been incredibly hectic these last couple of weeks because of school.  I've had tests, quizzes assignments, everything you can image, due for my 2 (yes only 2) classes.  Within the midst of the hell that is school, I have been patiently waiting for the notification of the TAPIF Program  But over the last 2 weeks a strange thing, some would call a blessing, occured:

So during my lunch break 2 weeks ago, I decided to visit craigslist.org and see what types of clinical jobs were available for students.  Out of all the listings, I narrowed down 2 separate dermatology clinics looking for Medical Assistants.  On a whim, I decided to apply to both.  I sent them my cover letter and resume without giving a second thought.  I didn't think anything of it because I've been actively applying for health jobs since I graduated in May and to no avail, the only thing I could get was a volunteer position in a hospital.  All the others were either no responses or rejected interviews.  So becasue of my new-found discouragement, I pretty much rejected myself and didn't think they would reply.

3 days later....I received a phone call from one of the dermatology clinics and get this, they actually liked my resume and called it "very competitive".  I was shocked! For a while I thought my resume was useless because I had been receiving so many rejections, but I guess it wasn't so bad.  The women asked me to come in for an all-day interview to shadow the doctor and to see if I was a good fit for the office.  You really should have seen how giddy I was during that conversation, all those applications I sent out and finally someone liked me, God is good!  And to add a cherry on this already delicious cake of good news, the 2nd clinic I applied to emailed me requesting for an interview! Two interviews, somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming!

Long story short, I went to the first interview, which ending up being a 9-hour day shadowing the doctor as he saw patients, taking notes, learning techniques and meeting the staff.  It was a truly exhausting day, because I basically had to put my best face forward for 9 hours straight, which ain't easy!  By the end of the day the Doc said he really liked me (yes he liked me, he really liked me!) but I'm supposed to get the final word sometime this week.  The other interview was a no-go.  I made it to the 1st round, but by the next day, they emailed me and told me I didn't make it to the 2nd round, oh well, c'est la vie!

...but the prospects of having a full-time job, and not just that the Dream job I've been looking for to boost my resume for med school and give me more clinical experience, puts me at a cross-roads.  On the one hand, this is the job I have been wanting for a while and I know that I will help me get into med school.  But on the other hand, if I get this job its au revoir to going to France this fall and next year.  Its like I'm so happy and kinda bummed all at the same time.  I know that neither are guaranteed (I mean there's still the prospect that I either don't get into the program or they place in a tiny town- both would suck equally) but I'm going to be optimistic about my future.  But, this is honestly the 1st time in my life that I'm face with a potiential crossroad... 


1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I am also doing the TAPIF program to teach English in France and I found your blog through the facebook group. I was just browsing your entries and saw that you're premed? I'm premed too and I'm going to (try to) apply this cycle to start in 2012. Which means I'd have to somehow schedule interviews while I'm in France. Just wondering if you're in the same boat? If you are, it'd be nice to know someone going through the same situation.

    -Yuanting

    ReplyDelete